LAUNCH OF THE 2012 NORTH EAST EQUALITY AWARDS
Equality North East is delighted to announce the launch of the 2012 North East Equality Awards
In their ninth year, the Awards have become a significant fixture on the North East business calendar, highlighting and celebrating the good equality practice being carried out regionally. Last year’s glittering ceremony was held at the Gosforth Marriott and was attended by over 300 employers, employees and equality champions.
One of last year’s winner Kate Carter, Darlington College, Winners Learning Providers and Colleges of Over 50 Staff 2011said ‘’The Award was external recognition of the work that has been done and an opportunity to tell individuals and the staff as a whole that their contribution had made an enormous difference to the people and the communities that we serve. It was also a great opportunity to thank everyone involved who have been so committed to ensuring the College is a place where people can study or work without fear of discrimination.’’
Liz Reay, Chief Executive of Equality North East, the regional equality organisation behind the Awards, said: “In these difficult economic times it can be easy for employers to put equality on the ‘back burner’. However, it has never been more important to celebrate good equality and diversity practices so we can all learn how this leads to real business benefits. Wise employers know that being fair and pro-active leads to getting the right people for the job, a motivated and loyal workforce and success with those important public sector contracts’’.
Equality North East would like to thank this year’s sponsors who include:
- Gateshead College
- Cestria Housing
- Learning and Skills Improvement Service
- Sunderland City College
- South Tyneside Homes
- Gateshead Housing
- Homes for Northumberland
- The Strategic Health Authority
- Tyne and Wear Fire Service
- Marriott Hotels
The closing date for this year’s awards is Friday 12th July 2012 and the categories this year are:
- Employers of Between 51 & 250 Staff
- Employers of Up To 50 Staff
- Learning Providers of up to 50 Staff
- Colleges & Learning Providers of Over 50 Staff
- Outstanding Contribution by a Larger Organisation
- Individuals Who Have Made a Difference
- Equality and Diversity in the Housing Sector up to 50 staff
- Equality and Diversity in the Housing Sector up to 250 staff
- Practicing Excellence in Housing Sector Organisations
- Organisations Supporting Disabled People in Employment
The evening celebration is scheduled to take place at the Gosforth Marriott Hotel on Friday 19th October 2012 and applicants can apply online.
Closing date for entries is Friday 12th July and Equality North East will be hosting support days for applicants to come and receive guidance and advice on completing applications.
May 22, 2012